Power Tools: When to Repair and When to Replace
What’s more, because familiarity breeds complacency, losing sight of potential hazards common on a jobsite can be a problem. From falling and flying objects to electrical issues and distractions – remaining alert, maintaining your tools and following proper procedures has never been more important. Using the right tool for the right job is one thing, proper maintenance and replacement is another.
Understanding the condition of your power tools
Monitoring the condition of your power tools is critical. Consider tracking the number of hours, days or the square footage a tool is used. By making this a part of your daily work routine, you’ll reduce the chances of being stuck with a broken power tool. After all, time is money.
Inspect every tool after each use. Look for damage such as cracked handles, bad switches or other electrical problems – anything that hinders proper use. If the cost to repair the tool is 50% of the purchase price, it’s probably time to replace the tool.
Tips for safely working with power tools
- Safety first! Wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including hard hats, goggles, noise protection, harnesses, masks, and proper work gloves.
- Avoid loose clothing and jewelry – anything that can get caught on a moving part of a power tool.
- Never modify the tool, especially by removing safety guards or deactivating built-in safety mechanisms.
- If a tool is cracked, don’t attempt to fix it with duct tape. Remove it from use and assess the damage for repair or placement.
- Safety is a skill best learned before entering the jobsite. Thorough training in the proper use of each tool is essential for safety and performance.
Get the job done right with Reuther.
At Reuther Material, we stock a large inventory power tools including Bosch, Husqvarna, Pearl, Sakai and DeWalt. From demolition hammers and power cutters to plate compactors and rammers and everything in between. We also stock a selection of safety equipment and gear including, delineators, traffic cones, vests, gloves, noise protection, harnesses and much more. We have everything you’ll need to keep your crew safe! At Reuther Material, we have the products and expertise to make the job easier!
Take advantage of our Jobsite Tool Program: when you purchase a jobsite tool online, we’ll deliver it right to your site.
At Reuther, we offer delivery options to suit you.
Our fleet of trucks ensure that we can accommodate orders of any size and different offloading needs. Our fleet of specialized equipment allows for exact placement at your jobsite, or prompt loading of materials when picking up. You won’t be forced to load yourself or deal with long waits. At Reuther, we’re here for you!